Cooler nights prompt a CFA warning about chimneys
As the cooler weather kicks in, CFA is urging residents to keep themselves safe by checking and maintaining their fireplaces, chimneys, fireboxes and flues.
Each year CFA sees an increase in the number of chimney fires from both fireplaces and wood heaters.
CFA’s Manager Community Safety Jude Kennedy said over time there could be a build-up of creosote, a black tar-like residue, which is highly flammable and could clog up chimneys.
“Creosote is not only caused by general use, but it can also build up quicker if you are using incorrect fuels, such as green wood or treated timbers,” he said.
To reduce the risk of fire starting from your fireplace or wood heater you should:
• Use a torch to check for creosote build-up or obstructions.
• Have your chimney professionally cleaned annually.
• Only burn dry, clean wood.
• Extinguish your fire before going to bed or leaving the house.